This is the second preview version of Circuit Diagram 3.0.
Read more about the new features in 3.0 here.
New in 3.0 Alpha 2:
- Faster start-up time
- Improved per-monitor DPI scaling
- Added missing hi-DPI icons
- Choose update channel in 'About' dialog
- Bug fixes
Download Circuit Diagram 3.0 Alpha 2 here.
The new user interface for Circuit Diagram
There are two exciting updates from Circuit Diagram today.
The source code for Circuit Diagram is now available on GitHub. This is a mirror of the existing repository at CodePlex.
Bug tracking will now use the system on GitHub, so please post bug reports there.
Circuit Diagram 3.0 Alpha 1
This is the first preview release of the next version of Circuit Diagram, which has a brand new user interface:
- New UI
- Supports per-monitor DPI scaling on Windows 8.1
- Hi-DPI component icons
- More pins for Integrated Circuit component
- Custom text for Capacitor component
- Bug fixes
You can download Circuit Diagram 3.0 Alpha 1 now.
This update includes bug fixes as well as the following new features:
Integrated Circuit Component
It's now much easier to use any type of integrated circuit in your diagrams
without having to create a custom component.
The new Integrated Circuit allows you to represent circuits with up to 12
pins, by choosing the number of inputs/outputs and pin labels.
Properties Editor Scrolling
You can now scroll down to see the full list of properties available to change
in the properties editor, for components with many options.
Component Format Updates
The format for components now supports more complex conditional statements,
not operators, using a more intuitive syntax.
There is now also the option to sign components using X.509 certificates,
allowing users to verify that the component has not been modified since it was
created by the author.
Please visit the downloads page to download this version.
This is the stable release of Circuit Diagram 2.0 - the improvements from 2.0
Beta 2 are mostly minor changes and bug fixes.
New in this release:
- Choose document creator name in options dialog
- Open components directory from components dialog
Bug fixes, including the following:
- SVG relative paths exported incorrectly
- Fixed size SVG export
- SVG text alignment to use dy instead of alignment-baseline
- CDDX components not being embedded or loaded correctly
Users upgrading from 1.3.1 will get many new features, including custom
components, cut/copy/paste support, new file format and the option to
show a grid in the editor.
Please visit the downloads page to download this version.
Today sees the launch of the newly designed website. As well as the redesign,
we've added the new circuits page which allows you to share your circuit
designs with other users of Circuit Diagram.
When you upload your circuit in Circuit Diagram's *.cddx format, a preview of
your design will be automatically generated so that people can have a look at
your circuit before they download it.
The forum has also been re-opened, so please share your comments and
suggestions as they really do help decide the future direction of Circuit
As ever, please upload any components you have made to the components page to
help make Circuit Diagram better!
We hope to release the final version of Circuit Diagram 2.0 shortly, so check
This release includes the following new features:
- Show grid in editor
- Cut/copy/paste support
Additionally, there are numerous bug fixes, including:
- Fixed connection data not being saved correctly and crash on save in some cases
- Fixed import dialog filter
Please visit the downloads page to download the new version.
Windows Explorer thumbnails
This release includes a number of changes to make designing circuits easier,
including automatic flipping of components when placing them and dragging from
right to left or bottom to top. Documents can also be resized and there are
many improvements to the use of keyboard shortcuts, including the ability to
delete components by pressing the delete key on the keyboard.
Please see below for the full list of changes.
Windows Explorer Thumbnails
Thumbnails are now shown in Windows Explorer for Circuit Diagram Documents, as
shown in the picture below. This feature has been difficult to get working, and
there may be problems with the thumbnails not appearing - please leave a
comment to let me know if they are working or not.
List of Changes
The following new features have been added since Circuit Diagram 2.0 Alpha 3:
- Automatically flip components when placing
- Delete components using keyboard delete key
- Resize document
- Document properties window
- Print document
- Recent files list
- Confirm when exiting with unsaved changes
- Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer for CDDX files
- Show shortcut keys in toolbox
- Highlight selected item in toolbox
- Zoom using mouse scroll wheel while holding down ctrl key
- Plugin support for:
- Custom export formats
- Custom import formats
- Open CDDX files created in Circuit Diagram 1.x
- New components:
- Voltmeter & ammeter
- 4-bit counter
Please note that the .NET Framework 4.0 is now required.
You can download the new version here, and please get in touch using the forum
if you have any questions about this new version.
This realease includes the following new features:
- New components: microcontroller, demultiplexer and inductor
- Flip & rotate components
- Open XML files from previous versions of Circuit Diagram
- Text formatting for components (including subscript and superscript)
- CDDX updates
- Other fixes
Important when upgrading from version 2.0 alpha 2:
- Any compiled (*.cdcom) components you have downloaded separately must be
- Unfortunately, it is not possible to open CDDX files created in 2.0 alpha 2
in this version, but all XML files from previous versions can be opened
If you wish to downgrade back to 2.0 alpha 2 after installing this version, you
will need to uninstall the new version first.
If you have any problems please get in touch using either the forum or contact page.
A preview of Circuit Diagram 2.0 is now available to download. Please note that
it is still in the development stage, and you may encounter problems using it.
Design Your Own Components
A completely redesigned system for components, which will now be loaded at
runtime rather than being hard-coded into the application. They will no longer
be written in code, but in XML, making it easy for anyone to write their own
components to use in their diagrams.
This will enable the following features:
A tutorial for making your own components is also available.
Select and move multiple components at once while editing.
Shortcuts and Toolbox
Asign keyboard shortcuts to components and customize the items in the toolbox.
Also included are many other improvements, such as the proper rendering of
connections on certain components. (You may have noticed that connections are
not drawn properly for the inputs of components such as logic gates, and that
three wires joining at the same point did not show as a connection.)
OPC-Based File Format
The new Circuit Diagram Document (*.cddx) file format brings with it the following
- Stores connection information as well as layout information meaning that it
- contains all the data needed to simulate a circuit (simulation is not
supported by Circuit Diagram)
- Open Packaging Conventions
based - can be opened using a zip library and XML parser
- Custom components used in the circuit can be embedded within the document
Note: the structure of this file format is still subject to change, and files
could become incompatible with future versions until the format is finalised.
Before downloading, please be aware of the following:
- Some features from the stable version have not yet been implemented
- If you create and save circuits using this version you may not be able to
open them in a future version as the file format has not been finalised
Not all components from the previous version have been converted over yet.
A prerelease version can be downloaded here for testing.
This update fixes an issue when using Circuit Diagram on computers with some non-English languages.
New Components and Features
The following have been added:
- Label (add text your diagrams)
- US-style resistor
Visit the downloads page to download Circuit Diagram 1.3.